Thursday, January 22, 2009

Broken hearts to mend.

At school on Tuesday, one of my classes threw an inauguration party and we watched BET's news report after the inauguration. Everything was about race (obviously because it was BET)... that we picked a president because he was black, etc. It bothered me that it was that big of a deal that voting was because of race and not issues... but then I started to imagine what it was like for some of these people. I have students in my class whose grandparents lived in a segregated country. They lived through racism. Its so distant to me that I forget that it wasn't that long ago when blacks and whites couldn't go to school together, when blacks were thought of as less than whites. And, it is still so real to so many people. I think that many blacks make choices that they do because they still feel the ripple effect of a segregated America. And, I believe that this is a great step in healing their hearts. America is a pretty amazing place and we are just going to get better. We voted for a Black president with the middle name Hussein. Pretty awesome.

No comments: