Thursday, December 29, 2011

catch-up stories

The first Sunday of December, Dennis decided that he wanted to bear his testimony. He asked me, "Is it my turn yet?" So, without preparation or even discussion about what to do when one goes up there, Dennis was on his way. After Dennis waited his turn on the stand he marched up to the podium, pulled the microphone down and said, "thank you for this day, thank you for this day, thank you for Jesus, thank you for Heavenly Father, um um um thank you for church, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen." I stood there totally awe struck and teary eyed trying to find words of my own as I stood there in front of the whole congregation. I was expecting to prompt him with something to say. But, he truly does have his own. He is a special boy.

While talking to Dennis about his little sister coming and sharing a room with him: Dennis said, "she will be scared of the monsters in the closet." Me: "yeah, but you can protect her because you are a big boy." D: "yeah, I will pray for her."

At the cabin, Dennis went out to help grandpa make the sauna. Since they weren't planning on being gone long, Dennis just threw on his jacket (not zipped up) and boots (without socks)- no hat and no mittens. Grandpa ran into some trouble getting the fire good and hot so he was preoccupied and thought that Dennis had gone back up to the cabin. (10-15 minutes later)Grandpa comes up to the cabin and asks if Dennis came back. NOPE. Luckily, I looked out the window just at the exact moment that Dennis and the two dogs were entering the woods (I thought they were following grandpa) so I knew which direction they were going. BLESSINGS! We went out in search for D. We walked a ways down the path and found Buster. And then I called out, "Dennis!". D responded: "Where are you?" Looking all over for him, we finally saw the small orange stripe on his coat way off the path up in the brush of the woods. ME: "Where were you going?" D:"I was following my dogs" ME: "We never go into the woods without an adult." D: "I tried to turn around but I fell and I fell and I fell." I am so happy that it wasn't a super cold day and that I knew which way to start looking for him. It could have been much worse. Dennis learned that day how to find his way back by following his footprints in the snow.

While shopping in the stores pre christmas, my response to all of the I want's and I need's was that we should tell Santa and maybe he would bring it at Christmas. This happened many times with many things but the one thing that Dennis always remembered was the bottle of soap. And, everytime I would ask him what he wanted for Christmas his response was SOAP! So, Christmas morning came and he found a bottle of soap in his stocking! After two seconds of sheer joy, his smile turned to a grimace and he said, "Hey that's not the soap that I wanted! I wanted CARS on it!" Oh boy... Santa thought he would prefer to have bubble bath than body wash and they didn't have CARS bubble bath. I guess, we will have to make an exchange to Target. And, Santa will have to stick to the wish list next year. :/

No comments: