Ryan went to Texas for his step 2 exam on Saturday. I was lucky enough to have my parents in town. We spent the day buying stuff for our house projects and such. That night I woke up around 1:00 because I was having contractions. I took my medication and waited for it to kick in. Around 2:30 I started to wonder if the medicine was going to work. I called Ryan several times but never got a hold of him. I then decided that I needed to go to the hospital. I was really feeling these contractions and it was possible that I was in labor.
This is when the girl's night out began.
I woke my mom up and told her that I needed to go. My dad laid down in my bed in case Dennis decided that he would look for me in the night (which he does often). It was 3:00 when I woke up my parents and it was around 4:00 when we got to the hospital. Ryan called. He had been taking a nap at the side of the road. I told him that I was going to the hospital because of contractions and that I might be in labor. When we got to the hospital they had me get dressed and checked my cervix. I was dilated to a 3.8. They said that they weren't going to stop the labor because we were far enough along (35.4weeks gestation). I don't think they could have stopped it at that point anyway. They put me on the machines and find that my contractions were 3 minutes apart and quite strong (I knew that already). I decided that an epidural would be a good idea. I was not in the zone. They moved me to the next room when they checked me and I was at a 4. Two really strong constant contractions later I was at a 8. I could tell that it was transition, so I said, "she coming". The nurse said, "we have to know that." They then rushed me to the OR (because she was premie). My montra down the hall was, "OOOWWWWW- OOOWWWW" Just like a dog. In the operating room I heard my phone ring and knew that it was Ryan. The last he had heard was that I was going to the hospital and MIGHT be in labor. I had 3 big pushes and our baby girl was born at 4:39 am. While they were trying to get the placenta out, I called Ryan and told him that he had a daughter. I think I had to say it 3 times before it registered with him. I didn't talk long because I was having troubles with my placenta. It never came out. 30 minutes of rubbing and tugging and feeling... boy was I exhausted. I just wanted to close the doors and say that the party was over. They had to put me under and clean it out. I am glad that I was not invited to that after party.
Here we are still in the operating room saying our first "hello".
Healthy and Happy!


Ryan, Dennis and Grandpa came around 8:30 while Zola was in the nursery for vitals. Dennis ran in and immediately said, "hey, where's baby?". They headed down the hall to pick her up. (picture to come from my mom's camera) Dennis had a small cold so Daddy joined in and wore a mask with him. Dennis loves his baby sister.
Grandma and Grandpa with Zola.
We sure love our Zola. She is as sweet as could be.
5 comments:
Quick delivery!! Congrats Rita. She's beautiful. And one of my favorite people in my ward growing up was named Zola - love it.
Rita, I'm so glad everything went so well!! I hear you about going to transition quickly-I went from a 5 to a 10 in ten minutes with Aaron. There's no time for pain meds!!
I love the name, I love that Dennis loves being a big brother, I love that your mom was there for you!!
All the best, Katie and the Lanktons
Awww so exciting!! Thanks for sharing. She really is beautiful!
We think she is beautiful. Lee and I read your post together. I started weeping when you wrote about your 'Champ of a Mother'. I've known her half-again as long as you have, and I can not agree more. I am so glad that you have named Zola after her Great, Great Grandmother.(another champ of a woman). And you, my sweet niece are amazing. This precious little girl is surrounded by marvelous examples of womanhood. We are so anxious to meet your daughter,but until then, we will enjoy the posts of your sweet family.
oxox Auntie Gramma Starr
Hello Superwoman! You are amazing, Rita! I am so glad your parents were here and Ryan could make it back soon. Zola is perfectly beautiful and teeny tiny. I can't wait to meet her. Congratulations Rita! I am thrilled for you.
Post a Comment