Friday, September 5, 2008

We're Parents!

I was sent home from the hospital last time on bed rest... I began to notice that I had a crazy amount of discharge and it was really watery. Not wanting it to be my "bag o waters", I ignored it... for a week... until my mom told me to call the doctor on Labor day. I cried, then called. We went in, and sure enough... I had been leaking water since I was in the hospital last time and didn't know it. Fortunately, I had plenty o water left. Unfortunately, I was doomed to be in the hospital until I gave birth (at the time thinking it could be a month and a half). I got an IV- but didn't mind it so much this time without the "mag", and they sent me to my room.

Tuesday: I felt like I had period cramps all day- just a constant ache.

Wednesday: I woke up feeling fine. Ryan came by and did his homework. 11:00am Meanwhile, I began to feel these same cramps but in serges. (from what Summer told me- this meant I was having the baby today) Ryan continued to do his homework as I started to use hypnobirthing techniques to block out the dull pain. 1:00pm I had a couple of visitors come by and I would talk inbetween serges. After they left, I felt like my back hurt just as much as my abdomen so I had Ryan rub my lower back during serges and we continued this until transition. He was so wonderful and did everything I needed to stay focused on my hypnosis. Guess what?! It really works! I didn't feel like I was in a lot of pain until transition. 3:00pm A doctor came to check on my dilation: 3cm. They moved me to "labor and delivery". I immediately asked for a birthing ball and continued everything just the same. 7:00pm I had a couple of visitors who I would talk to inbetween serges. (somewhere inbetween 8:30 and 9:00) Nurse came in to try to adjust the monitor. (which hadn't been on the whole time because my movement on the ball and his movement prevented this). She went to get the doctor to help. I felt a huge pop and water ran everywhere. For me, this was when transition began... and ouch! They moved me to the bed so that they could monitor the baby. The doctor found out that I hadn't been checked since 3:00- so she checked me and I was 5cm dilated and almost effaced. Because I was not prepared for this stage of labor, I demanded that I get the epideral. It took so long to come... and I had 4 serges before the doctor came back that when she checked me again it was too late. I was 1+ (baby was coming)! 9:24pm Soon after, Dennis Ryan Funk was born. The most amazing experience ever! I kept saying, "I did it!"





He came out breathing so well! Everyone is impressed at his development at just 33 weeks gestation. He was 4 lbs 11 ounces and 17 inches long. This picture was taken a couple hours after birth.




DAY 1: thursday






He will impress the girls with his luscious lips!

He will stay here until he can maintain his own body temperature.

Eyes wide open!






Day 2: friday


He graduated to wearing a onsie! (one step closer to going home but a lot more steps to go) After his breakfast, he snuggled up for a nap. To prepare him for what comes next...



The "tanning bed".


Only cool dudes are allowed.

We are so blessed to have such a healthy boy. All of the nurses are impressed with his progress which makes his parents even more proud. We love him!

13 comments:

Katrina said...

CONGRATS!!!! He is such a cutie! We are so glad that everything went so well and he is doing so great. We love the pictures so keep them coming!!!! We love you guys and Benson loves his new cousin. He keeps on pointing to the pictures and getting excited.

Buzz and Camille said...

Oh he is soooo beautiful!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! AWW I love babies! I can't wait until I get to see him!! Hope everything continues to go well! Love you!

Tara said...

Congratulations! He is so dang cute.... I love the pictures of the puckered lips.
Way to go, he is adorable.

Tara

Angelavon said...

Oh my goodness Rita! You have me almost in tears! He is so beautiful! Visiting on Wednesday made me feel not ready for delivery, but now seeing the baby just makes me realize that it is ALL WORTH IT, every stinkin' bit of it! Wow! I'm so happy that you had your baby so fast. I was so worried...since the monitor was out of place, we couldn't see the contractions...and i was so worried that it would drag on forever. I'm so happy that you had such a good experience and your baby is so healthy! What a blessing!
We love you guys!!!

Andrea said...

Congrats Rita!! He's soo cute! Hope he gets to come home soon.

KevandChels said...

Congratulations from the Gertschs! Wish we were there to see him in person but so glad that things went well and that Dennis is doing well! You guys are in our prayers- best of luck.

Katie said...

congrats funk family!!! We're so happy to hear little Dennis is strong and doing well. Can't wait to see the little guy soon.

Cole and Mindy Smith said...

Ryan and Rita...CONGRATS! This is COle and Mindy SMith- you know, your cousins! CONGRATS on the little guy! He is gorgeous, and so precious! RITA!!! Way to go on the hypnobirth/too late for an epidural birth! You ROCK! Seriously, way to go. Good luck with everything, and please let us know if there is anything that we can do! Check out our blog too at cmsmithfam.blogspot.com

Jenna said...

Rita, he is so beautiful! Congratulations! Good job on the hypnobirthing and keeping it cool! I love you!

Wendy said...

What a miracle to have a baby come! You will enjoy the next life time of adventures with him! Lance would want it said, "Like a champ!"

The Locey Family

Carr Family said...

Thanks Ryan for sending me your family blog. What an adorable baby you guys have. When my 4-year-old daughter saw the pictures she said, "Awwwww, he's so cute!" She's right!!! Congrats Ryan and Rita. I hope he continues to improve and amaze all those doctors and nurses. He must be one tough little baby!! Oh, and Ryan I'll e-mail you an invite to our family blog in case you guys want to check it out.

Carr Family said...

Oops, I forgot to say who I was. This is Tara (Martin) Carr. As in one of the coolest people Ryan ever knew in High School!! :)

Nonie said...

Oh Rita! I am so glad to read all that!!! I can't believe how beautiful he is and how well everything went -- what an amazing blessing. You are awesome! That face he is making in the first picture by himself (on day 1) is just like my favorite face that Samuel makes. I laughed out loud. I can't wait to meet him in person! (Why didn't you spell it "Denis?" :) )

Love you!
Nonie