Saturday, May 29, 2010

flipped with the croup

I have always wanted to try cloth diapers but said that I would wait until Dennis wasn't in daycare anymore. I have no desire to fill a landfill from my kids' diapers alone (I plan on having a few kids). This past week daycare has asked me to bring in more diapers and wipes both of which I had brought a bunch in all too recently. I actually filled up our wipes box 5 daycare days before they asked me to bring some more in. Diapers it was more like 7 days. However, I don't think I can complain since there have been many times that I have forgotten to bring in diapers and Dennis always has been greatly taken care of with more expensive brands than target. Also this past week my totally awesome sister in law switched her boy over to cloth and was extremely impressed with how easy it was and wished that she had started sooner. So I was pushed to flip. All the signs were pointing me in that direction. I can't say that they are extremely easy since Dennis is wearing his first one as I am typing but I will be sure to update you on my opinions. And, there will be no more sharing at daycare. :) though that isn't my main incentive, it is a nice-very tangible one. We decided to go with the flip diaper-because I have NO IDEA and that's what my sister in law likes. I looked up Cotton Babies online and was going to order them online when I decided to look for a store. To my surprise THE Cotton Babies store is 4 exits on the hwy from me! So, I checked it out today. When I walked in, I fell in love and wished that money was not an issue. There were the cutest clothes (NB jammies: $30), the coolest wooden toys that looked like european toys (chose not to look for the price), Robeez shoes, baby camping beds, and the coveted phil & ted's touble stroller ($800). I tell myself "someday" while Ryan rolls his eyes and I really know that that "someday" will never come because really? $800 for a stroller? But, it makes me feel better that I could have it one day if I felt like it and who knows... maybe someday! Another awesome thing about this store that made me fall in love was the fact that one of the workers had a kid straped to her back in a sling! I told her that I thought it was cool that she could have her kid at work and she told me that he was actually her sister's kid who needed a couple of hours baby free!!! Even cooler that she could do that. For those that know the story-- I am completely jealous and those intense feelings of defeat become so real again. And, I think it is silly that I still feel uncomfortable bringing Dennis to school EVER.

Anyways, I feel very pleased that I was able to buy some very cool things there. Here is my stash! I bought 2 daypack flip system diaper kits (4 diaper covers & 12 inserts), 2 barely used inserts, a bag to put dirty diapers in at daycare, a pail liner for at home and 3 air freshner tablets for the bin. Ryan is going to buy a sprayer from home depot to hook up to our toilet and we will get a system going.

Also big on the schedule today was making Dennis feel better (as you can tell in the picture he is not happy). He started coughing last night really bad and it started to sound like he had a really soar throught. He slept with us over night and didn't sleep very well. At his naptime he started to have more trouble breathing and you could see at every breath that his skin would suck in around his ribs (forgot the medical term for that). We took him in and after some x-rays they diagnosed him with croup--even though Ryan already knew that. Dennis got some meds and is now in his own bed sleeping :) Thank heavens for modern medicine!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Wahoo!! Love it! Dennis looks great in his new diaper. How are you liking them so far? Hope Dennis gets feeling better.

Wendy said...

We are a cloth diaper family too! I like them very much, and there are many, many, many different styles and likes and changes. I hope that you enjoy them. We have found though it is easier and less smelly if you don't travel with them in an airplane. Take it from personal experience.... My hubby has recently said that poo stories are always funnier when they aren't your child. Best of luck and hope you LOVE them!

Unknown said...

My sister in law does cloth. I couldn't do it. Gag reflex gets me sometimes with regular diapers but I think it's great!