Saturday, August 13, 2011

first week of the new school

Dennis finished his first week at his new school! We totally love it. UCCC (university city children's center) Everyday when I pick Dennis up I am so happy and impressed with how they run this daycare. I can already tell a difference in the way that Dennis acts. He is much more confident and comfortable with who he is. I love it.

One day when I picked him up all the other children were washing their hands getting ready for snack and Dennis was still sitting on the rug with his teacher Ms. Terri totally focused on getting his sandals on all by himself. Ms. Terri just sat there patiently until he finished. There was no rush. He didn't feel incapable. And, he did it! He didn't even know that I was there until he was done. Ms. Terri didn't want to interrupt his concentration. I love that.

Another day when I picked him up everyone was getting ready to go outside and the one's still wearing diapers from nap had to get new diapers or get underwear on. So those kids were told to go get a new diaper from their cubby. Then they went into the bathroom (with little toilets!). She told them to take off their old diaper! Then she helps wipe or whatever... Then they put on their own new diaper and clothes! All by themselves! This is exactly up Dennis' ally. He is thriving.

I love the fact that it is always a positive atmosphere. Even when kids are being punished, they don't yell at them, they talk about it. They promote kids to control themselves and their emotions in a way that doesn't embarrass or degrade them.

We are happy. :)

No comments: