Saturday, January 16, 2010

better of two evils?

So, when looking for a daycare we asked our friends and got a great reference from another mom whose child got diaper rash at a different daycare and so they looked everywhere and LOVED this one. I visited and agreed that it was a nice, friendly, organized, clean environment. And, after a week of adjusting, Dennis also agreed that it was a nice place to spend his day. Now, Dennis is not getting ignored or mistreated or neglected and I am soooo thankful for that. But- he is not without side effects.

Recently, I have noticed that Dennis has been really cranky with me. He is so opinionated about EVERYTHING. One of those things is me sitting down. Whenever I sit down on the couch or on his chair in his room he will come over whining at me and pull me with all of his might out of the chair. Then when I am standing he will want to be picked up. Ok. Then I sit down and it all begins again. When I am holding him-standing up, he then directs me to where he wants to go. ALL THE TIME.

After a conversation with one of the ladies at the daycare I found out that it is because everyone at the daycare LOVES Dennis. (I can't blame them for that) But, they all take turns holding him and letting him direct where they go. So, Dennis is getting spoiled at daycare. rotten. By 10+ different workers. Well, at home its just me, and I have things to do. The day when Dennis cries when I come and pick him up from daycare might be coming soon.

From what I hear, when I was little I would go to preschool with my brothers way before I was the age for preschool and the teacher, Mrs. Scott would carry my around everywhere because she just LOVED me. So maybe its not that big of a deal. I think I turned out okay and I don't think I am spoiled rotten. anymore at least.

And, when I think of the alternative-neglected or ingored, I'm happy that he is loved.

4 comments:

Buzz and Camille said...

I think Ryan was probably the same... always loved! You guys are just way too cool not to love!

Mindi said...

Better, definitely. But perhaps you could explain to them the predicament this puts you in. He is not completely there for their enjoyment (even though he is admittedly enjoyable. Thoroughly.) but he is there to be enriched and socialized as well. Way To Go for paying attention to how his environment affects his development. You get the Great Mom trophy for today.

Unknown said...

I'd much rather have Robert loved. What a great blessing it is to have someone love him as the watch him!

Mindy said...

If it makes your feel any better, Gunner wants me to carry him around everywhere, too, and he's not in day care. Maybe it's an age/phase thing.

And you ARE a great mom!